Sunday, July 22, 2012

Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms




Having company? Too hot to cook?  Stuffed mushrooms can be a quick appetizer , snack or even part of a meal that look great and are usually a hit at any party.  They require no cooking, so that's a plus in this hot weather.

 I like this uncooked version because when I cook stuffed mushrooms, they sometimes fall apart. In addition, raw mushrooms taste great and will hold together so they can easily be picked up as a finger food at a party. 

I used my spinach basil pesto recipe below but I left out the Parmesan cheese to make it vegan. I was surprised at how delicious it still tasted without the cheese. This recipe is rich in healthy greens and loaded with antioxidants. Since it's eaten without cooking, none of the nutrients are lost.

These mushrooms make a great appetizer that can be easily passed around. They are perfect at a BBQ because they hold up to the heat well. And because they are vegan and gluten free, they are allergy friendly and can be eaten by almost everyone. It's important to keep that in mind when menu planning. 

To prepare: I used a small spoon to just lightly scoop out the inside of the mushrooms so I could fill them .

If you make your pesto in advance, you will only have to fill them the day of the party. In fact, you can fill them a few hours in advance, and they will keep well.

Eat and enjoy without any guilt. They are light and low in calories and carbohydrates. If you are planning on having caloric side dishes, these mushrooms will be a welcome low calorie appetizer. 

Pesto Ingredients:
1 cup fresh  parsley
1 cup fresh basil
1 cup fresh spinach ( I used organic baby spinach)
1 cup of pecans, pine nuts, or walnuts ( I used pecans)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 clove fresh garlic ( or more to taste)
1/4  cup olive oil ( don't cut back, the oil makes it)
salt to taste

Directions: 
Assemble ingredients
Process nuts and garlic, remove from processor and set aside.
Process, parsley, spinach, basil, then add nuts and garlic mixture, and olive oil.
Process until smooth .
Remove from processor and add a little more olive oil before serving  if its dry.


Wash mushrooms, remove stems, and clean out inside enough to stuff. 

Stuff each mushroom individually and serve.

What kind of appetizers do you like to make in hot weather? 


Gluten Free Tip of the Week 

 gluten-free Italian panko breadcrumbs, made with rice flour, is a new product from Ian's Natural Foods









32 comments:

  1. These sound delicious, Judee. I might add the Parmesan, though, when I make them. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit it is delicious with the Parmesan too.

      Delete
  2. This looks yummy. I haven't used mushrooms in anything recently. I love stuffed mushrooms and this is a completely new way to stuff them, for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pesto that I made is somewhat thicker than some pestos so it was easy to use it as a filling.

      Delete
  3. HELLO delicious! This looks amazing, thanks for sharing! Pinned for later (maybe dinner??)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so great! Thanks for sharing at Must Try Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm visiting from See Ya In the Gumbo - what a delicious idea. I often make pesto with spinach, instead of basil, especially this time of year (it's winter here) when basil is scarce and outrageously expensive if you can get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand. This happens to be basil season in the Philadelphia area, but it would be hard to come by in this quantity during the other seasons.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I am now following you as well. Your blog is a wealth of information! I always have people ask me about gluten free dishes. I hope to be able to refer to your site for answer and suggestions. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed your blog as well. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. My daughter will LOVE this - thanks for sharing!
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy to make too. Hope your daughter tries it.

      Delete
  8. I often make stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer, but I have never made them unbaked. What a great, fresh idea for summer! Thank you for sharing with See Ya In the Gumbo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually slice up raw mushrooms to add to my salads, so I figured why not try the stuffed mushrooms raw. I took it to a party and there wasn't one left. Everyone raved!

      Delete
  9. I love any recipe with mushrooms. I am sad that I am traveling for work because I would love to make these RIGHT NOW. I found you on Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays. You have an impressive blog hop list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I am a big fan of Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays; there are always so many healthy real recipes. I hope you do have a chance to try to the recipe.

      Delete
  10. Hi, I'm dropping by via Meatless Mondays. I love stuffed mushrooms but have never tried it with pesto and pine nuts. Thanks for the new recipe idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love stuffed mushrooms, I think you will like the ease of this recipe ( especially that they are not cooked) and the pesto and pine nuts are absolutely delicious.

      Delete
  11. These sound amazing! I'm always looking for good veggie appetizers ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am in luck I just bought mushrooms and pesto and was thinking of making pasta but I like your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG, this looks so good, would love to try! Thanks for sharing.

    Already your follower, just hopping by:)

    The Quiet Mom blogging @ Spaghetti with Meatballs Recipe

    Also, don't miss our Custom Blog or Social Network Button Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those look great!

    Thanks so much for sharing at Mealtime Monday! Can't wait to see what you link up tonight!

    Kaylee
    www.couponingncooking.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look very appetizing!:)
    I love the flavors and I wouldn't leave the Parmesan out

    ReplyDelete
  16. These were amazing!!! Parmesan was delicious with it. It was good without it too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks delicious! Anything with basil makes me swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey! I'm featuring this recipe on Healthy Vegan Friday tomorrow! Be sure to stop by and check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love love love mushrooms so I can't wait to make this recipe! Thank you for sharing your healthy and delectable Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms recipe at the Healthy Happy Green and Natural Party Blog Hop. I'm pinning and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting. I always find some good plant based recipes

      Delete
  20. Hi Judee,
    These mushrooms sound absolutely delicious. What a great healthy appetizer of snack they would make. Shared on Tweeter & Pinned. Congratualtions on being featured on Healthy Happy Green & Natural blog hop. Have a healthy happy & blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marla,
      They are delicious, healthy and easy,. I appreciate that you tweeted and pinned it. Thanks so much

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly